Attention – BETA version! This article describes features of a pre-release version of Cortado MDM that is not yet available to the public.
This article shows how you can manage Pico VR devices using Cortado MDM. Pico VR are built with the Android operating system and can therefore be administered with an MDM system.
In order to manage a Pico device with Cortado, your business is required to register (free of charge) with Google.
Setting up Cortado account
- Register an account for Cortado MDM under www.cortado.com.
- Then log in to the Cortado administration portal under go.mycortado.com.
- Then select Control Panel→ Global Settings→ MDM→ Enroll Android Enterprise (arrow in illus.).
- Now proceed as desciped here. It is not necessary to set up a Google Firebase project.
- After successfully registering with Google, return to the Cortado administration portal.
- Here, select Control Panel→ Global Settings→ MDM→ Configure→ Android MDM.
All data that was required for Cortado MDM was automatically stored under Android Enterprise.
- Uncheck the checkbox Create EMM-managed user for fully managed device (arrow in illus.).
- Click on OK to close the dialogue.
Note! Any number of VR headsets can be registered per user, and thus it is not necessary to create a separate account for each user.
- Add the users in the administration portal. Also assign a password with this. Proceed with that as described here.
Prepairing to set up the app
- Now upload your self-hosted app to the administration portal. Proceed with that as described here.
- Then assign the app to the users. Proceed with that as described here.
Setting up kiosk mode
The next step is to create a policy with which the devices can be placed in kiosk mode.
- To do this select Control Panel→ Policies in the administration portal and click on the plus button, above left.
- Then select Android Enterprise Policies.
- Then enable the checkbox Enable kiosk mode (arrow in illus.). You will find more information on setting up kiosk mode here.
Then assign the policy to the users. Do this by selecting the policy in question and click on Assign (arrow in illus.).
Switching on the Pico device
- Switch on the Pico device and wait for the setup screen to appear.
- Complete the Pico setup and make sure the device is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- Put the device in developer mode. Read the documentation from Pico at https://developer.pico-interactive.com/
- for how to enable developer mode and to activate the Android Debug Bridge on the VR device.
- Now install the Cortado app. Download the .apk for the Cortado app here: https://download.mycortado.com/dpc
- Run the following adb commands to install the .apk file and to set the app as the device owner:
adb install -r Cortado-MDM.apk
adb shell dpm set-device-owner "com.cortado.android.corp/com.cortado.android.mdm.deviceadmin.CortadoDeviceAdmin"
- Log in to Cortado:
- Start the Cortado app. Log in to the app by authenticating yourself with the Cortado user (see above).
- Press the Refresh button in the app.
Following the successful configuration the device will be placed in kiosk mode and the apps will be pushed onto the device.