With Cortado, you can manage iPads that are shared by several users. In this case each user is provided with their own profile on a single shared iPad. To do this you need iPads that have been registered in the Apple Business Manager. This How-To will show you how to configure a device to make it available to several users.
The aim is to use the Cortado management console to configure iPads so that several users can share one device. For this purpose, each user will have a separate portion of the hard drive space made available to them, which they can then personalise for themselves.
iPads will be required that meet the following (hardware) requirements:
- a minimum of 32 GB storage space,
- iPad Pro; iPad (5th generation or newer); iPad Air 2 (or newer); iPad mini (4th generation or newer),
- managed Apple IDs, with which the users can sign in to a shared iPad,
- devices that are owned by the company and are lodged with Apple Business Manager,
- a user to carry out the initial enrollment of the iPads.
If all these prerequisites have been met, proceed as follows:
1. Importing SharediPadAdmin into the management console
For the initial configuration of the shared iPad, create a new user (referred to as SharediPadAdmin in the following) in the management console. To do this, proceed as described here when using Cortado Server and as described here when using Cortado MDM. Note that SharediPadAdmin requires a password. When using Cortado MDM, simply allocate a password when creating the user.
Note! Users of shared iPads don’t need to be imported into the management console. They only need a managed Apple ID.
2. Creating a new DEP profile
The steps outlined briefly in the following are described in detail here.
Note! In any case, create a new DEP profile for the shared iPads, do not use an existing one.
- Download the DEP certificate in the management console under Control Panel→ Global Settings→ DEP→Download.
- Then open the Apple Business Manager. Create a new mdm server in the Apple Business Manager for the shared iPads and upload the DEP certificate.
- Download the token.
- Now open the Cortado management console under Control Panel→ Global Settings→ DEP.
- Click on Add under DEP Profil in the right column (arrow in illus.).
Create a new DEP profile for the shared iPads:
- Enable the checkboxes Supervised and Shared iPad.
- Upload the token from the Apple Business Manager (arrow in illus.).
3. Creating a new policy and assigning to the SharediPadAdmin
- Create a new policy. To do so, select Control Panel→ Policies→ iOS Policies in the management console.
- Retain Supervised Devices as the enrollment type (arrow in illus.).
- The Allow temporary sessions on Shared iPad checkbox must be enabled (upper arrow in illus.).
- Specify how much storage space (MB) each user may use on the iPad (middle arrow in the illus.). Take note of the instructions from Apple on this.
- Specify the number of users per shared iPad (lower arrow in illus.).
Then select the corresponding policy in the left column of the management console and click on Assign. Assign the new policy to SharediPadAdmin.
4. Initial enrollment of the iPads
The iPads can now be enrolled. It is assumed that the devices are new and unused or have been restored to factory settings. Further advice on the initial enrollment can be found here.
- Log on to the device with the SharediPadAdmin user name and password (see above).
- Then carry out all the setup steps previously specified in the DEP profile (see above).
- Then give the iPad to a user. They can then sign in with their managed Apple ID.
After that, other users can register and create profiles.
You can get an overview by selecting the iPad under Control Panel→ Devices (left arrow in the illus.). The shared iPad has been assigned to SharediPadAdmin (in the example, firstname.lastname@example.org, right arrow in the illus.). You can see which users are registered on the device (lower arrow in illus.).
When you create new apps, profiles, policies, etc., assign them either directly to the device or to the SharediPadAdmin.