Web Clips are small icons that can be placed on the home screen of iOS devices to directly open a web page. They have the same appearance there as a normal app. But when you tap on them, it’s not an app, but rather a specific web page that opens in the browser. In this How To you will learn how you can use Apple Configurator 2 and the Cortado server to make this type of Web Clip available to your users.
The aim is to create a policy with Apple Configurator 2 and to distribute it to your users via the Cortado server.
- Download Apple Configurator 2.5 (or newer) onto your Apple Mac. The configurator is available as a free download in the Mac AppStore.
- Start Apple Configurator 2.
- Create a profile by clicking on File→ New Profile.
- Go to the Web Clips section at the end of the list on the left side and click on the Configure button.
- Configure the Web Clip as follows:
- Label: Give your Web Clip a name.
- URL: Enter the URL of the web page that links to the Web Clip.
- Icon: Upload an icon in PNG format, to be displayed on the home screen. The size should be 59 x 60 pixels. (If no image is uploaded, a white square will be displayed.)
- Save the profile.
- Now go to the Cortado Administration Portal.
- Select Adminisitration→ Policies there.
- Create a new policy (left arrow in illus.) and then click on iOS/iPadOS Using Apple Configurator 2 (right arrow in illus.).
- Upload the new profile for the Web Clip here.
- Select the new policy and assign it to the desired users, groups or devices.
The users will now find the Web Clips on the home screens of their devices.