Until now, iOS/iPadOS devices that were not purchased directly from Apple or from an authorised Apple dealer had be registered manually with Apple Configurator for macOS, using Apple Business Manager. With iOS 16 it is now possible instead to register such devices using an iPhone with Apple Configurator.
We will show you here how to retrospectively add an iOS/iPadOS device to Apple Business Manager with the help of a second iOS device. Advantage: This method is much quicker and simpler and does not require a Mac. Prerequisite: Both devices require iOS-Version 16. Further information can be found in the Apple Configurator user guide.
- The device that is being added to Apple Business Manager has to be reset to its factory default settings.
- On the second iOS/iPad device (referred to in the following as Admin device) install the Apple Configurator app (left illus.).
- Log in to Apple Configurator with your managed Apple-ID (right illus.).
- Open the reset device that you want to configure. Start the system assistent. Select the language and region and, under Quick Start, tap on Set Up Manually.
- Do not select a WiFi in the next step.
- Instead, hold the admin device with the Apple Configurator open above your new device (left illus.).
- A pattern will now be visible in the display (right illus.). Position this pattern in the circle in Apple Configurator.
- The new device is then added to your organization in Apple Business Manager (right illus.).
- Once the setup has completed, you can locate the device in Apple Business Manager under Devices (left arrow in illus.).
- You now have to assign the device to an MDM server (right arrow in illus.).
Note! We show you how to add an MDM server in the Apple Business Manager in our help article Embedding company-owned iOS/iPadOS devices.
- Select the desired MDM server and then click on Continue.
- The MDM server is then stored in Apple Business Manager.
- Then tap on the new device in Erase iPhone. The device will then be reset once more.
Note! The registration of the device with Apple may take some time. We recommend that you now wait some time (at least 60 minutes).
- Then start the setup assistant again and follow the setup procedure.
- If the registration was successful, the remote management will be displayed after setting up the WiFi (left illus.).
Now the user use their access data to log in to the iPhone/iPad and can then carry out the setup steps you specified. The user has to be imported into the Administration Portal beforehand for this. Users must then register with invitation email in to My Cortado.