You can create your own configurations for your users’ Android apps, provided that the configuration option has been made available for that app. This practice is particularly useful for email apps such as Gmail. It means that users do not have to configure the app themselves and can access their emails immediately.
Managed app configuration helps avoid human errors in app setup that might occur if either corporate IT or users were to make these settings. Using managed configurations ensures that the app is ready to use immediately after installation.
- In the administration portal, select Administration→ Apps.
- Then click on Create under Managed Configurations (right arrow in illus.).
- Then select the Android platform (arrow in the illus.).
- Then click on Select app (arrow in illus.).
- Then select the app that you want to configure (example in the illus.).
Now all the configuration options provided by the respective software manufacturer of the app will be displayed (Gmail app shown as an example in the illus.).
Configuration can be carried out using variables in many input fields, provided the data has been stored in the user management for the respective users.
Note! A combination of variables (such as $UserDomainName$\$UserPrincipalName$) is not possible.
The following variables are available:
- Start by assigning a name for your configuration. If you intend to create several configurations for the same app, this should be made clear in the configuration name.
Make all settings as you wish and then click on Save.
- Then select the app (left arrow in the illus.) and assign it to the users or group templates.
Note! Always assign the app itself to the users first, followed by the managed configuration of the app.
You can create several configurations for the same app and then assign different configurations to different users or group templates. Therefore, use unique configuration names (example in the illus.).
In the example, the managed configuration of the ezeep app has been created for management (left arrow in the illus.) and is assigned to the group template Management (right arrow in the illus.).