You can purchase volume licenses for apps (formerly VPP apps) in bulk volumes via the Apple Business Manager. When you assign those licenses to users or groups, you maintain ownership and have comprehensive control over their content. If apps are no longer required, you can assign them to a new user. To do so, firstly set up the appropriate account with Apple Business Manager and purchase the licenses. Then create a VPP account in the Cortado Management Console and assign the apps to the users.
Setup Apple Business Manager
A link to the Apple Business Manager can be found in the Management console under Control Panel→ Apps & Docs.
- There click on the plus button (left arrow in illus.) and then on iOS (right arrow in illus.).
- Here select Apple Business Manager. You will be redirected to the Apple website.
- Set up an account there. Apply for a DUNS number.
You can purchase volume licenses in the Apple Business Manager under Apps and Books.
Set up VPP account
Then creat a VPP account in the Cortado management console.
- To create your VPP Accounts and to assign the apps to the users (after they are purchased), click on Create in the VPP Accounts tab.
- Then select the preferred platform (arrow in illus.).
Enter the following settings:
- Account Name: Enter a name for the VPP account.
- sToken: To request the app information from Apple, you need the Server Token. Download it from the Apple Business Manager at Settings→ Apps and Books→ My Server Tokens→ Download. Open the file .vpptoke in a text editor and copy the contents into the sToken field. Once a year, you have to install a new token.
- Assignment type: You can select here whether you want to assign licenses to individual devices, or to users.
- Device assigned: If the licenses are assigned to individual devices, you don’t need any Apple ID. The app will simply be pushed onto those devices. With device-based licensing, if a user is using multiple devices then one license is consumed for each device.
- User assigned: However, if a license is assigned to a user, an Apple ID will be required. The user will receive a prompt and must enter his personal Apple ID. Only then can he download the app from the App Store. Apps are automatically available to load onto all of the user’s devices. In this case, one license per user is used (regardless of the number of devices).
- Mandatory: The apps that you can distribute with your VPP account are Managed (see Managed Apps). To enable you to push the apps directly onto the devices, the option Mandatory has been set.
- With Prevent backup of app data you can prevent backups of app data from being created.
- Data roaming: If this checkbox has been disabled, the user may not use the VPP apps in roaming mode in the mobile network. You can customize this basic setting later, per individual app (you will find a description (see below).
- Cellular data: If this checkbox has been disabled, the user may use the app over Wi-Fi only, but not in the mobile network. You can customize this basic setting later, per individual app (see below).
- VPN profile: If you have created a VPN profile under Control Panel→ Profiles, you can select it here.
- Single Sign-On profile: If you have created a Single Sign-On profile under Control Panel→ Profiles, you can select it here. You can also enter URL prefix matches.
- Click on OK to create the VPP account.
- If the Assignment type→ User has been selected, the users must now be activated for Apple VPP.
- To do so, select Apple VPP account (left arrow in illus.) and then click on Assign Users (right arrow in illus.).
Then select the desired user and click on OK.
- The assignment can be removed at any time by clicking on Unassign Users.
Note! When using device-based licenses (Assignment type→ Device) this type of activation is not required. The VPP apps can instead be assigned directly.
All the apps that you have purchased from Apple through your VPP account are now listed under Apps (left column).
- If required, the individual apps can be edited beforehand. To do so, select the desired VPP app (upper arrow in illus.) and then click on Edit (lower arrow in illus.).
- You can now assign the apps to your users .
Note! If the app is not Mandatory it must also be rolled out, as well as being assigned to the users. The buttons Rollout on assigned users or Rollout on failed users (in case the first attempt fails) are provided for this.