In this article, we will show you how to add apps directly in the administration portal. Apple Business Manager is not required for this type of assignment.
Note! You can create an additional administrator account for your app manager.
- Select in the Administration Portal Administration→ Apps.
- There click on the plus button (left arrow in illus.) and then on iOS (right arrow in illus.).
- For all app store apps from the Apple App Store, select App Store. The app will then be pushed directly to users‘ devices or or be deposited in the BYOD app for download.
- Select Search, to search in the iTunes App Store for the app you wish to add (arrow in illus.).
- Under Country, you can select the country for the app store (right arrow in illus.).
- Enter the name of the desired app under App name and then click on the search button (left arrow in illus.).
- Select the desired app from the search results and click on Select.
- The app, with its name, URL, and minimum required OS version, is then added to the form.
- Add a description under Description.
- Also make the following settings (optional):
- Minimum/Maximum OS version: Specifying a minimum/maximum OS version is optional. If the versions are entered, the app will only be made available to those devices with an operating system that meets these requirements.
- App icon: At the bottom, select an icon in .png or .jpg file format with a maximum size of 100 KB (optional).
- Prevent backup of app data: By enabling this checkbox, you will prevent the user performing backups of app data.
- Mandatory: Activate this checkbox, if the use of this app should be compulsory for the users. The app is then pushed onto the user’s device at regular intervals, in case the user may have deleted it.
- Automatically install updates: If the checkbox is enabled, app updates are automatically pushed to users' devices.
- Rollout initially: Enable this checkbox if the app should be pushed to the users‘ devices immediately (regardless of the synchronization interval and regardless of whether the Mandatory checkbox is enabled).The users can then individually delete the app later.
- Data roaming: If this checkbox has been disabled, the user may not use the VPP apps in roaming mode in the mobile network.
- Cellular data: If this checkbox has been disabled, the user may use the app over Wi-Fi only, but not in the mobile network.
- VPN profile: In addition, you can specify whether a VPN connection should be automatically established for an iOS app at startup. To do so, you must first create a VPN profile under Administration→ Profiles.
- Single Sign-On Profil (SSO-Profil): You can additionally assign the app a Single Sign-On Profile (SSO Profile). The SSO profile also has to be created first under Administration→ Profiles.
- Base URL matches: If you want to add further websites that the user can open without logging in again, enter them into this field. The additional URLs entered there are added to the selected SSO profile.
- Confirm your entries with OK.
Now you can find the app in the Administration Portal (left column).
Note! If a App (with checkmark: Mandatory or Rollout initially) is pushed onto a user’s iOS device, but this same app has already been installed by the user, the user will be prompted to approve the management of the app. If the user agrees, then the non-managed app becomes a managed app.
- Assign the apps to the users.