Prepare user devices
If you’re planning to roll out a large number of devices, we recommend that you use the NFC method. To do so, you will need an additional Android device (referred to here as the admin device) for the configuration. You use this to configure the Android device of your users, referred to here as user device. The advantage: During the configuration, the Wi-Fi names and passwords, which must be assigned to the users’ devices, won’t have to be separately entered for each device.
Note! Google has discontinued Android Beam from Android version 10.0, if you want to use this enrollment method, you need an older Android device as admin device. The user devices that are to be newly set up, on the other hand, can have newer Android versions.
- Begin by downloading the Cortado NFC Enrollment app from Google Play Store onto the admin device (left illus.).
- Activate Android Beam in the device settings on your Admin device (right illus.).
- Open the app.
- In the app settings (arrow in left illus.), you can enter the Name and Password of your Wi-Fi network (right illus.). With the configuration, this data is also transferred to the new device.
- Then, in the Administration Portal, under Administration→ Settings→ Android Enterprise click on Configure Android NFC App.
- Scan the QR code, using the NFC app on your Admin device.
- To configure a User device, you have to first reset to factory settings and then restart.
- Then hold the Admin device and User device back-to-back. Some devices will need to be placed together slightly offset from one another.
- Then tap on the display of the Admin device to start the configuration via NFC.
- Afterwards tap on Accept & continue (left illus.) and wait until the process is complete.
- Repeat the foregoing process for each User device you want to configure.
- Now you can continue the configuration of the prepared devices.
- They are now in a mode in which a QR code can be scanned.
- Depending on whether the user is going to continue the configuration himself at this point, or if you are going to take that on for him, there are now two ways to go forward. The configuration with user interaction and the configuration without user interaction.
Configuration with user interaction
With this type of configuration the user device receives only the server information. It can then be given to any user for further configuration. The only prerequisite is that the user has already been imported into the Administration Portal and activated for Android Enterprise.
However, if you want to take on the complete device configuration on behalf of the user, proceed instead as described here.
- In the Administration Portal select Administration→ Settings→ Android Enterprise.
- Then select Configure Android Managed Device (arrow in illus.).
- A QR code is displayed.
- Scan the QR code with the user device that you want to configure.
- Then give the device to a user of your choice. The user can then enter his login details and complete the configuration (left illus.). Cortado MDM users must first create a password for this using the invitation email and their email address. Alternatively, you can assign a password for the user when importing users. Users of Cortado Server log in with their e-mail address and domain password.
- Subsequently, the company with which the user registers must be confirmed (right image).
- The user-specific configuration is now concluded.
- The Cortado app provides users with an overview about all apps and policies. Users can find more information about the Cortado app here.
Configuration without user interaction
Select this type of configuration if you want to completely configure a device for a particular user yourself.
- In the Administration Portal, under Administration→ Users select a user for whom you want to configure a device (upper arrow in illus.). You can also select multiple users at the same time, whereby the QR codes for each device will be displayed one after another.
- Then click on Enroll Device (lower arrow in illus.).
Note! Illustrations differ slightly for Cortado Server.
- Then click on Android (arrow in illus.).
Then select Fully Managed Device (arrow in illus.).
Note for Cortado MDM users! Alternatively, you can also integrate the devices via Administration→ Devices, by clicking on the plus button. There you also first select the desired user(s) and then Enroll Device. Then you can select the platform and the method as above.
- A QR code will be generated for the selected user (upper arrow in illus.) This contains all the (user-specific) data required for the complete configuration of the device (lower arrow in illus.). The QR code remains valid for 15 minutes.
- Scan the QR code with the preconfigured user device and agree to the management of the device.
- The setup will then start (left illus.).
- Then verify your company by clicking Proceed (arrow in the right illus.).
- The user-specific configuration is now concluded.
- The Cortado app provides users with an overview about all apps and policies. You can find more information about the Cortado app here.
- If you previously selected multiple users, click on Next to reveal the next QR code (arrow in illus.).